Recently Married or Divorced?

If you were recently married or divorced be sure the last name on your tax return matches the one on record with the Social Security Administration (SSA). Taking a spouse’s last name, reverting to a maiden name, or hyphenating a last name with a spouse’s may cause complications with your return if the proper paperwork is not filed with the SSA.

To complete a name change, file Form SS-5 at a local SSA office or by mail.

If you have questions or need help with this matter contact your H&S tax professional.