Go Green! Get A Tax Credit?


The non-business energy property credit has been extended through 12/31/13.

Thanks to the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, the non-business energy property credit has been extended through 12/31/13. If you’re planning to make “green” improvements around your home in 2013, you may be able to take advantage of this credit through the 2013 tax year (and if you did make “green” improvements in 2012, you may be able to take advantage of the credit on this year’s tax return!).

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Qualifying improvements include: adding insulation, energy-efficient heating and cooling systems, energy-efficient windows, etc.
  • You must make these upgrades to your primary residence located in the United States.
  • The credit is worth 10% of all qualifying improvements and has a maximum limit of $500 ($200 for windows and skylights).
  • Be careful when you’re shopping. Manufactures must certify that their products meet the energy-efficient standards and must provide you with a written statement (i.e. on the packaging or on their website).
  • Qualifying improvements must be placed in service by December 31, 2013.


Have questions about the non-business energy property credit? Contact your H&S tax professional today.

Want to learn more about changes caused by the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012? Download our 30th Annual Tax Letter!

Tax Credit: Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit

residential energy efficient homes

If you made energy efficient home improvements you may be eligible for a tax credit. (Photo Credit:

If you installed certain qualified residential alternative energy equipment in your home you may be eligible for the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit. With this credit you are able to claim up to 30% of the cost of the qualifying equipment (including labor costs in most cases). Please note this is a non-refundable credit not a deduction, so it will reduce the amount of tax you owe, rather than give you cash back.

Conditions to Receive the Credit

  • The equipment must have been installed in your home in the United States.
  • Fuel cell property only qualifies if it was installed in your primary home located within the United States.
  • Be sure you have the manufacturer’s tax credit certification statement because not all energy efficient improvements qualify.

If you are eligible for this credit complete Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits.

Sources & Forms (External Links)
Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits