Each year, the IRS releases the top 12 scams for taxpayers to be aware of — aka the “Dirty Dozen”. Below are the top scams for 2012:
- Identity Theft
- Return Preparer Fraud
- Hiding Income Offshore
- Free Money From the IRS and Tax Scams Involving Social Security
- False/Inflated Income and Expenses
- False Form 1099 Refund Claims
- Frivolous Arguments
- Falsely Claiming Zero Wages
- Abuse of Charitable Organization and Deductions
- Disguised Corporate Ownership
- Misuse of Trust
- Trust your gut, if something seems too good to be true it probably is. Don’t let someone encourage you to lie or file false information.
- Don’t give your personal information out to just anyone. The IRS and other reputable businesses and government agencies will never solicit your personal information through e-mail.
- Do your homework and choose a reputable business to prepare your taxes. H&S Companies has been providing professional tax and accounting services for 29 years. Our professionals are knowledgeable, trustworthy, and honest. We will work with you to ensure you receive the return you deserve.
If you have any questions or require any additional information contact your H&S tax professional today.