Reporting Vacation Rental Income

Rental Property Income

Make sure you properly report income earned from renting a property. (Photo Credit:

If you earn income from renting a vacation property, then you will need to report the following on your taxes:

  • Income earned from renting houses, apartments, condos, mobile homes, boats, etc. needs to be reported
  • Schedule E is normally used to report rental income and certain rental expenses
  • Expenses claimed from a property used as a vacation home and personal residence must be divided between personal and rental use (personal use is considered more than 14 days or 10% of the total days the property is rented)
  • Income is not required to be reported for a property that is used as a personal home but is rented for fewer than 15 days/year

Sources + Forms
Schedule E (Form 1040), Supplemental Income and Loss –